Sunday, November 19, 2006

Why can't I change?

Ok,

So I did end up getting a new phone plan, and it doesn't seem too bad. It's with Telus, so I kept my cell # and the phone my Dad gave me. I have unlimited incoming calls, unlimited evenings after 5pm and unlimited weekends. I only have 100 or 150 weekday minutes, but since I'm at work anyways, I figure it won't be a problem (I hope!) I also have 100 long distance minutes a month, so All of you long distance people better start calling me.

Work is going well - the people there are all really nice. I'm also supposed to be picking up some shifts back at Alekos on Friday nights, so hopefully I will have a little extra money as well. I worked last night as well, which was actually good as I am a little rusty and I'm working Friday, which hopefully will be nice and busy, so it was good to get up to speed.


I'm actually sitting at work right now writing this. I have an hour for lunch, and today I had to cover reception while Carlie takes her lunch, and since I usually hang out with Carlie or Sarah, I have some free time. I normally run errands as I'm so close to Coquitlam Centre, but I didn't really feel like it today.

Now for the good stuff.


So, this morning while waiting for a customer to answer the phone, I was watching the seconds tick by on the clock on my phone. It got me to thinking how short life is and how we will never get the time back that we waste. I know, I know, that's a pretty big thought while listening to the phone ring, but it came about because I was thinking about how I am just sitting here calling people trying to collect money, and I just really want to be doing anything else. Now, don't get me wrong. I actually enjoy my job and the people I work with and I totally understand that in order to do the things we want, we need to work for it, but I feel like I'm spending so much time just waiting for the "next big thing."

I know I've posted on this before on the other blog, but I am still dealing with this problem. I can't seem to just enjoy life where I'm at in the present time. I mean, I can enjoy it, but I'm never happy. The grass is ALWAYS greener for me. I feel like I waste so much just biding my time and then it's done and gone. I worked my bum off all year last year and the result let me spend 4 glorious months in Europe doing whatever the heck I wanted. I promised myself that this year I wouldn't do that, that it wasn't worth it, but I'm backsliding into the same habits.

I was talking to Larry, the owner of Alekos, last night about my schedule. I had requested to work only Friday nights as I didn't want to take on too much and have no social life again. Then I got to thinking that well, if I'm working 1 shift, it's not really that much of a difference, but if I work 2.... I settled on every Friday night, plus a Saturday or Sunday shift every other week. I also picked up a shift for someone else for next Monday. Why do I do this??!!! It's not that I desperatley need the money (I should have my debt paid off by the end of this month) but I just can't seem to say no to something if it means it may bring about my goal a little faster.

Why why why why why???? I keep asking myself that.

On a completely different note, If anyone comes to visit our new place starting Dec. 1st, you MUST bring a Christmas tree ornament with you, preferably hand made. I would love to have beautiful, or not so beautiful depending on your crafting degree, ornaments for the rest of my life made by people I love!

I'm going to get back to work now,

Kim

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

you sure can ( come spend christmas with me)

love u

ps. im going to make you a christmas ornament this very second! well, not right this second, but when i get home from filming the 4th semester film and tv. class at 10pm tonight..

LOVERS YOU

oh and kimmybear? I agree, lifes too short. Do something you love. and don't overwork yourself. just live.

timmyjay said...

can i bring you back an ornament from singapore?? Cause I'm totally going there on the 3rd...YA! On a more serious note...Its hard to stop and appreciate what you have sometimes when you feel you could be doing more with your life, but I think there's definetely a reason behind it all. It will manifest itself in due time... Plus you're like, the hardest working person I know so stop it sometimes okay? You're making the rest of us look bad...

Kaylee said...

Tim - you may bring us an ornament from singapore, as long as you made it. So why dont you pick some reeds and weave us a little basket or something. Was that the most ignorant thing ever? I dont even know anything about Singapore. Anyway, it just can't crush our tree (that we dont have yet).

Kim - your names rhyme, dangit! A friend and I were discussing goals and things the other day. It seems so pointless the things one does to achieve his or her goals. Why write a paper for school? to get a good mark, to get a degree, to get a job, to make money, to do the freakin things you want to do in life. Yet it all comes back to just toiling away, waiting for that thing that brings fulfillment. I admire you for seeking after your goals and not just being complacent. You work towards something bigger than yourself, bigger than you can imagine - you dont know what it is yet but you keep on trucking. I love that about you.

Let's talk soon! I love you!!!

Anonymous said...

You have been watching your parents for 21 years thats why you are the way you are. "Without pain there is no gain."

Amanda A said...

You are not wasting your time!

People say life is short - but it's the longest thing we've got! I think you're making great decisions!.

Anonymous said...

Life is what happens to you while your busy making plans...

I don't really know if that fits into your entry what so ever. hahaha but there... lol. Well, it's not like you shouldn't be working, and it's not like you should always be playing.. Life will balance itself out, as long as you're having a good time doing what you're doing, don't worry about what you quote "should" be doing.. There is no one way to live your life and it shouldn't be that way. Work is good, it fills in the time between fun.. haha. You can't always hang out with friends, it'll get boring after a while. Like when we were in Europe, don't get me wrong.. it was AMAZING to do whatever we wanted to and sleep til all hours of the morning... but there got to be a point where I was missing my work... the Routine... It's almost a reminder of how to enjoy your time off.
You're at work thinking about how you can't wait until you're off so you can bask in the ambiance of your friends and free time... and its the work day that makes you really appreciate you're own time.

Well, that was almost a blog entry rather than a comment. haha.. But I can't sleep.. it's 2:54 am and I have to be up in like 3 hours... but yah I was lying in bed thinking about how much I actually miss travelling. even though near the end I was super pumped to go home, i really did have an awesome time... Thanks for taking me btw..

Love you

Kait

Kimmy said...

Awwww... I love you guys! Especially my sister - isn't she great!!!