Friday, February 23, 2007

The immense posibilites of the future


As usual, I haven't kept my promise of keeping up with my entries. Is anyone even checking this anymore?

I actually do like writing this... it's a great way for me to put into words what I've been pondering lately. I love the feeling of reading it and being surprised at what I've been thinking without really being conscious of it.

So what have I been thinking lately? Well, first off, I'm bored with my job already. I've only worked here since November, but I'm already finding it monotonous and boring. I know this isn't what I want to do in any stretch of my imagination, but once I'm settled, I can't seem to find the energy to get out there and figure out what the heck I REALLY want to do. There's a guy, Sean Aiken, who had the same feelings that I do and started a website One Week Job to help him figure it out. Check it out. That's what I want to do... not start a website, but figure out what I'm passionate about.

I know I want to travel the world, learn a kazillion languages, meet a billion people, and help make the world a better place (sounds corny, but it I believe it), but how do I do that and justify it as a career? There are a few options that I've considered:
1. Become a travel photographer. I love photography and think that this would be a fantastic career.
2. Go back to school and get my linguistics degree and become a translator.
3. Work with children for an international aid organization, such as VSO Canada

The problem is that I can't decide. I have come to the realization lately though that it will take time to insure that I have a career I love. What I mean is that I hadn't wanted to commit myself to another 3-4 years of school as it would mean that I can't travel for a while. Now I've realized that I may have to be patient and get my education in order to spend the rest of my life traveling. Does that make sense to you?

*sigh* I just don't know

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

work work work it doesn't matter what you do, after a while it's a job.

Laurz said...

i check it!!!!!!!!! I also love you and think you will do whatever you want to do when it cracks you over the head. let it come.

Just Jim said...

Whatever you do, make sure that you can do it with passion. Give yourself time, to "find your joy".

Kaylee said...

hey hey! that movie was sooo good tonight! AHHHH!

I love you babe and I know it's hard to stay in something that feels like it's headed nowhere. But just remember that there's a bigger picture and for now you need to make money and that's exactly what this job (however boring) is doing for you right now. So think of it as a blessing maybe. One day the thing you really want to do will present itself and then its bye bye Four Star Auto Lease!! Adios!
xox

Jenn's Yarn Addiction said...

Kimmy, you updated, yay! I'm bringing back the blog, baby! That one week job site was cool. And just think, that somewhat boring job is helping with the travel fund, right!? Oh and also, I want to set you up with my friend, he's on facebook...more details to follow...!